My friend Stephanie posted this link a while ago, and while most of it is pretty accurate, some of the teachers and I soon started adding more to the list, from our own experiences. And, especially after spending time with some traveling gringos this weekend, I felt I’d create a blog with more to the list so people at home have a better idea of my day to day life here in Costa. So without further ado…(if someone else wrote it I credit them by putting their name in parentheses).
1. You turn on your oven by throwing a lit match into a chamber and hitting the ignition switch.
2. Your bedroom inexplicably has a window, not to the outside, but to the laundry room. (Sharai)
3. (Speaking of laundry rooms…) Dryer? What dryer?
4. “Perfect beach day! Hand me a bee—-oh damn, it’s raining. Let’s pack up!” (Sharai)
5. Your conversations are interrupted and sometimes punctuated by the.loudest.motorcycles.ever.in all of existence.”
6. A woman tells you you’re getting a little fat and she thinks she’s being nice. (Sharai)
7. 2:30am: Neighbor’s rooster alarms 3 hours early. 3:00am: Neighborhood dogs begin twilight bark.
8. There’s no such thing as unscented toilet paper. (Sharai)
9. Pipa, pipa!
10. No one knows what you mean when you say you want white sauce or pesto for your pasta. (Sharai)
11. “Sausage” means hot dogs and “tacos” mean a cabbage, mustard, mayo, ketchup mess on top of taquitos
12. People on the street speak to you in English just because you’re white when in reality you could be from any country in the world, including Costa Rica. (Sharai)
13. If you need directions…you’re fucked.
14. Men on the street stare at passing girls and do cat calls, even though the guy she’s walking with could be her boyfriend. (Sharai)
15. You can walk into any pharmacy and immediately get most medicines so cheap you consider hoarding meds and sending some back home for friends.
16. Oh you’re 35 minutes late? That’s okay, so is everyone else. All the time. (Sharai)
17. And you’re probably late because you keep getting stuck behind the sloooowesssst walkers ever.
18. Why does this taste like ham? (Sharai)
19. Going to the bank? I hope you have no other plans today. (Sharai)
20. Your Chinese food comes with white bread….whaaaaaat? (Sharai)
21. You don’t trust the bus schedule because it’s never right.
22. You get embarrassed by hanging around gringos who are just passing through.
23. You go out with friends and, because the bars don’t close like when they do at home, you wind up staying out until 4 or 5 AM.
24. The box spring of your bed is actually just wooden planks laid across the bottom.
25. It’s also crooked because there aren’t enough boards to support the mattress at the end where you put your feet.
26. You only have a set day a month to take your recyclables to the park, and no one remembers when that day is.
27. You are friends with local restaurant owners/workers.
28. You can survive without air conditioning, a dishwasher, and a car, it turns out.
29. When there isn’t “technically” enough room on the road for two buses to pass at the same time, your bus driver will still try to make it happen, and will succeed.
30. Seeing people riding a bike while carrying their baby in their lap doesn’t phase you anymore.
31. If you want to go camping, you can just plop down on a beach for the night for free.
32. You don’t remember the last time you were cold, or even a little bit chilly.
To be continued….